Monday, May 23, 2011

DIY Firesteel Project Part 1

After purchasing a smaller Swedish firesteel and finding it hard to use with my big hands, I decided to build my own, to suit my needs. I started with a 3/8" by 5" firesteel blank rod, then found a suitable piece of wood for my project, while on a day hike(I believe it to be a piece of White Oak). I used my trusty Mora #1 and my newly acquired Puukko knives to carve up a handle. Then I applied three coats of Tru-Oil, which is great for putting a protective finish on your wood projects. Nothing to fancy, but it feels great in the hand. The feeling of making your own from scratch is always rewarding. Now to carve a matching wooden handle for my striker(part 2)..


2 comments:

  1. Hey! Stumbled across your blog through the OBN. Liking the look of everything here. Keep up the good reports!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alex, much appreciated. Hope you will follow along and I'll be sure to check your blog out as well.

    ReplyDelete