Thursday, May 26, 2011

Northwest River Park Day Hike

I haven't had much opportunity to get out in the bush this season, but luckily I have a great park in my back yard. Northwest River Park in Chesapeake Va. is definitely a great place to get away for the day. Sometimes I'll just take a nice hike through one of the many trails, but you can also rent a canoe, which is one my favorite things to do. There are some great swamp like waterways and a short portage to get to the actual river. Today I just went for a hike, but I met a bunch of friends on the way. So I thought I would share a few pictures of my acquaintances.





 
 I saw lots of deer out today, probably around a dozen in total. They were very curious as to what I was up to.



Some great tender provided by a cottonwood tree.



Here a fallen branch from the cottonwood tree has created a natural "paper". After the cotton came in contact with the water, it then dried in the sun, forming this paper like substance.  It's really great to see nature in action.


This little guy wasn't shy at all, he was looking for free peanuts.



There were tiny frogs all over the place. I had to tread lightly in order to avoid these little guys.
There are always some geese here, but today the whole family was basking in the sun.


The little fuzzballs were taking a snooze when I first spotted them.






Mama goose was not letting me out of her sight!

No comments:

Post a Comment